MENU

Texas man shoots himself in leg after mistaking handgun for flashlight

1280x720_51203P00-EVIDT.png
(Rob Bixby / CC BY 2.0 via MGN)

AUSTIN, Texas (KEYE) - A man was injured in Titus County, Texas, near Dallas, when he accidentally shot himself in the leg after grabbing a handgun he thought to be a flashlight.

According to Texas Parks and Wildlife game wardens, the man was preparing for deer season on his hunting lease around 9 p.m. on Aug. 5. When driving his ATV back to the house, a battery on the seat next to him fell to the floor.

In the darkness, he reached for what he thought was his spotlight to try and find the battery. What he grabbed, however, was his Glock Model 22.

When he pulled what he thought was the switch, he fired a round into his upper leg.

The man told game wardens the grip of the spotlight and the grip of the handgun had the same feel.

He drove himself to the house and then 25 minutes to the hospital.

Doctors say the bullet missed bone and major arteries, and the man was discharged with no complications.

He's expected to make a full recovery.